"We would do well to slow down a little, focus on the significant, lift up our eyes and truly see the things that matter most.
Strength comes not from frantic activity, but from being settled on a firm foundation of truth and light.
It comes from paying attention to the divine things that matter most." Elder Uchtdorf


Monday, March 23, 2009

Catching Up is Hard to Do...

If I just kept up, I wouldn't have to catch up. And while the logic is undeniable...

March in no discernible order:
Levi's Birthday
Levi turned 30 this year... 30?!? So old!! I threw a surprise party and invited some friends from school. The whole time I was planning, I agonized over the fact that he was being too helpful cleaning the house, unloading tables and chairs from the van (?), and leaving the house the day of the party... but he really was surprised (and he really is that nice)! Yay!


NCAA Tournament- BYU vs. Texas A&M

We found out at the last minute that BYU was playing in Philadelphia... so we got tickets, picked up the guys from school and ran over to the game. Gideon and Joseph loved it (and so did I, although I was less than impressed with the BYU fans- not nearly as rowdy as I would have liked). The minute we sat down, Joseph looked down at the court and got excited when people cheered. He knew that whatever was going on down there was the reason we were there and he watched most of the first half that way. At halftime we snuck over to the BYU crowd seats- it was an awesome experience- I have so missed BYU sports!

The Philadelphia Temple

This is the site of the Philadelphia temple as far as I can tell- this parking lot is at the correct intersection, anyway. It's right downtown, and only about a mile from Levi's school. I hope we are here to see it, but I heard they weren't going to start construction for 4-5 years, so who knows?

Little Joe-Joe
Joseph is walking everywhere now- still a little wobbly, but he hardly crawls anymore. He found Gideon's bowl of Cheerios and was very proud of himself.

This is Joseph discovering grass- and this is his new "cheese" face.

Cold Applesauce face

Big Brother Gideon
Joseph wants to do everything Gideon is doing all the time... annoying for Gideon, but fun for us to watch them growing together.
Gideon made himself a kid-size car.

Finally got pictures taken, and finally have a decoration on the wall!

Grandpa and Grandpa
Grandpa and Grandma came through on the way to their mission in New Hampshire. It was such a nice visit! But more exciting is what they are doing for the next 18 months- what a great example for all of us.

My dad has a wonderful habit of doing home-improvement projects while he's here- and we now have curtains and blinds to protect us from all the evil "peeping tom's" who have been stalking us through our naked windows! Thanks again, Dad. And my mom did the dishes the whole time she was here... and folded laundry. Thanks, Mom- I'm glad you're not here to see the piles of clean clothes in my living room right now! On second thought, maybe I do wish you were here to see all those clothes...

Keeping the ER in business
While my parents were here (just after our DC trip) Gideon had a fever and was acting funny, so the nurse told us to take him into the ER. Right before we left, Levi accidentally sprayed G with warm chocolate milk and after that he was acting normal again. ? Hmm. We actually left without seeing a doctor because it was 3 am and they said it was going to be awhile.
But when I went back with Joseph a few days later- we did see a doctor (twice, actually) and got antibiotics for pneumonia. The doctor saw him and didn't hear the wheezing we took him in for (which had been going on for a few days and miraculously stopped 5 minutes before we saw the doctor), so she left to do our discharge papers and while she was out on the computer she heard his cough and came back in to listen again. And the wheezing was back. So I undressed him again, put on the little gown and they did a breathing treatment and chest xray. Such a huge blessing that we caught it so early... a little boy in our ward J's age was in the hospital for almost a week with pneumonia the same time. Joseph made all kinds of friends while we were there, and I don't think it was hard on him at all- not so for the mom who had to hold him for 4.5 hours without letting him down or touch anything! :)
Homemade

I was trying to make a salted caramel frosting I saw online (without a candy thermometer or any experience), and I kept burning it- so I experimented with the hot candy a bit.


BLISS! (both pictures)

I've never tried hot-cross buns, so I made them one day- yummy! I heard it is tradition to make them on Easter... anyone know why?


I let Gideon lick the bowl when I made homemade marshmallows...

... and he shared when I wasn't looking!

Washington, DC
For Levi's Spring Break, we went to DC for a much needed temple session and some sightseeing. I was extra excited because it's one of my favorite places on earth! The spirit I feel there is different than anywhere else. I believe it's because it is hallowed ground due to the eternally significant events that took place there.
The weather was magnificent, as was the company... I can't wait to go back!
Can you see that poor little Gideon is asleep in the far reaches of the stroller? He started to get sick the first day and just got worse (he tested positive for para influenza virus when we got home)... he slept through the Air and Space Museum and most of the zoo. When he did wake up at the zoo, he really wanted to see a Hippopotamus and that was about it. So sad!
The Zoo

The Smithsonian

Above is what Gideon was being right about then... can you read it?
Use your imagination if you can't.
This was what Levi was most excited about seeing. Oh, and eating astronaut ice cream...
The Mall
Gideon really really wanted to get on the "boat." He loved it!
The Lincoln Memorial is one of my favorite places in DC... though I've never seen it look quite as beautiful as it was right then!

Super Dad
Levi is the best father in the world! Really. It's what he was born to do.

2 comments:

Kristina said...

So many things to comment about . .

Sorry about the sick kids! Hopefully they're feeling better for awhile.

The DC trip looked like so much fun. It was probably a great time to go without the crowds.

The hot cross buns look so good!

The Mad Footer said...

Thanks, I think You are super too!
Super cute Super smart, Super fun, Super funny (even though I don't always understand intelectual Humor)and super awesome!
I Love your guts!!!!!!!
Levi