One of the my favorite things about living in Pennsylvania is the fun array of animals we encounter on a daily basis. For example, we have squirrels, about 50 different kinds of birds, a rabbit and a true Punxsutawney Phil groundhog all living in our yard or surrounding yards.As fun as it is to watch these small mammals running around outside, it is equally disturbing to see them, how shall we say, smooshed on the side of the road.
In fact, just yesterday on the way to church I counted 7 (or was it 8) roadkill.Fresh ones.
And that includes a few long stretches where I was managing things in the backseat while speeding (I was late... I know, I know, and yes, I can see your shocked faces) down narrow, winding, 1 1/2 lane country roads.
It reminded me of the time I tried counting the number of men urinating along the side of the road on the way to church in India. Don't ask me for a number, all I remember is that around 14 I got distracted (most likely by a skinned goat hanging on a hook outside a meat stand- they look remarkably similar to dogs and are very distracting) and forgot to keep counting...
**photo deleted by author**




2 comments:
Indiana is the same way (as Pennsylvania, not India). :) Lots of fun wildlife to watch, but also a lot of roadkill.
You're hilarious! My dad actually gets out in his big backyard with a 22 rifle and waits for unsuspecting squirrels to happen upon his garden so he can shoot them. I think he has a personal vendetta against squirrels. He also slicks the rails on his bird feeders so that when the squirrels try to jump onto them to "steal" the seed they slip right off onto the ground! Don't worry, they seem to multiply like rabbits so that there's just as many out the next day.
Post a Comment